Monday, November 14, 2016

Generating Resources Part 1


Hey guys.  Hope all your quests have been successful this week.  So let’s say you are a new player.  Just picked up one core set.  And you love the game.  You want to get more into it.  But you are overwhelmed.  5 years of releases can be really daunting.  So where should you start?  What’s the best packs to buy?  How in the world do I build a deck?

Never fear dear friends.  Thankfully there is a fantastic LOTR community that has contributed loads and loads of excellent content to this amazing game.  I will go through a few links for you to check out.  A video or two and some great blogs.

Please note this is not an exhaustable list.  All I’m showing here is a good place to start.  There are some other LOTR resources I am aware of.  But I have not had a chance to personally check out.  And I won’t recommend anything I haven’t checked out yet.  So let’s consider this article a part one of many showing off some great resources LOTR players should utilize.

Let’s begin with some questions…

 

***I bought the core set, so what should I buy next?

First off I recommend getting a second core set.  There are a few key cards in there you want three of.  And it’s nice to have at least 2 copies of the ‘rare’ cards.  I am OCD completionist so I bought 3 copies but I wouldn’t say it is necessary.  For more specific advice from people who are much more knowledgeable than me check out this link:


 

***I am getting murdered playing the third quest in the core set.  I am trying to beat it solo.  So how can I beat it!?!

I feel for you.  I really do.  It’s a brutal quest.  And a lot of luck is involved.  But one thing you need to do to give yourself a fighting chance is to play two handed. 

 

***Two handed?  Ambidextrous? 

Ha, ha, no.  Two handed is where you build two decks and run both against the quest.  Here’s a fantastic guide to doing so.  Brought to you by the excellent Tales From the Cards blog…


Playing two handed is more work but pretty awesome actually.  Let’s you experience the quests in a different light.  I play the game solo most of the time but it’s a 2 player game at heart.

 

Another nice link to keep in mind is this amazing progression series that can be found here:


I recommend playing some games first so you don’t spoil anything for yourself.  But then after you read through this not only will it teach you about deckbuilding but it will also give you tips on how to play the game.  It’s an excellent read and I recommend it to everyone.

 

So that’s all for the first article on helping new players.  The two sites I am recommending for this blog are:



 

I have added both of these to the resources page.  I haven’t really even begun to scratch the surface.  So stay tuned for our next resource generation article.  Safe journeys everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment